Sunday, January 14, 2018

2017 Makeup + Skincare Favourites!

How was 2017 for everyone? I can't believe the year has come to an end already. Time really flies! 2018 has been incredibly cold. Apparently it's been the coldest Canada has been in 100 years? Can I work from home please??

2017 was one of the best years I've had. The first half of 2017 wasn't too memorable, but the latter half was amazing!
I went and visited Japan for the very first time. I already want to go back!
I also got a job promotion at work. So all in all, 2017 was pretty good.


I have a lot more makeup related items this year as I started to wear more. Even though I still enjoy trying skincare items, I've started to shift my interest towards makeup. I still don't wear too much, but I've found some items I'm really enjoying. 

Similar to last year, I've split up my favourites between skincare and makeup related items. 

Skincare - Face 


Left to right

Sulwhasoo - First Care Activating Serum
I picked up this limited edition at Nordstrom earlier this summer. It's recommended to use after cleansing to help prep the skin for all the other skincare products. It's supposed to help absorb the ingredients better. The Sales Associate also mentioned that with regular use, I wouldn't need to apply as many products. I mainly use this during the summer. My skin absorbed it quickly and it didn't leave it feeling sticky. It's mainly a prep product before I apply on everything else, but even on it's own, the serum offers a decent amount of hydration. My skin looks brighter and more plump especially in the mornings. 

The serum is quite expensive. I purchased the 120ml bottle and it will easily last me over a year. So while it does cost quite a bit, I like it enough to want to repurchase once I'm done. 

Unik - Rose Galactomyces Essential Toner
Last year, I loved the Secret Key toner. This year, my new found love is for Unik's essential toner. I REALLY like this toner. I'll be doing a more extensive review in the coming weeks, but I've been using this toner everyday. It has a light rose scent which isn't too overwhelming. The product is so incredibly moisturizing as well. When I was on vacation in October, I wanted to travel light so I left this at home. I ended up really missing using this toner and wish I had brought it with me. 

I'm half way through the bottle. I'll definitely have to restock once I'm finished. It's decently priced as well. $16.50 USD on their website

By Wishtrend - Mandelic Acid 5% Skin Prep Water 
Full review here.

Erborian - Glow Creme illuminating Face Cream
This is my favourite day cream I've been using since the summer. For the winter, it's not the most moisturizing, but it's ok as long as you layer your skincare. While it's called a face cream, they describe the product as an illuminating primer that gets rid of dullness and uneven texture. It's light weight and offers a subtle highlight, which is what I love about it. 
I treat this as a makeup base before I apply my makeup. On a simple day, I will wear this on it's own as well. 

It's a little on the pricey side at $49 CAD + taxes for 45 ml, but it does last  you a while. I still have half the tube left and I've been using this basically everyday since August. They also have a CC cream which I'm really interested in trying out. 

Laneige Lip Mask
This was my go to lip balm I used during the summer for the night time. I bought apple lime and it smells sublime!
This is an important factor for me, but while it is heavily scented, it's not flavoured at all. Even if it tastes good, I just can't stand it. I much prefer my lip products to be flavourless. 

It comes with a lip spatula which I actually found a little useless. It doesn't spread the product around as evenly as I would like. So I just use my finger. But once I use up more product, I'm sure I'll have to start using the spatula again. 

The lip mask isn't too thick. I applied a lot on my lips and found the product moved around a lot. Sort of had a 'greasy' feel to them. It offers a slight glossy shine as well. 

It's a great product to use in the summer because I don't need as much moisture at night. It's $24 CAD + taxes on Sephora but it will definitely last a very long time. 

Nuxe - Reve de Miel Ultra-Nourishing Lip Balm 
I've been using this as my winter night lip balm and I LOVE this stuff. It's thick, long lasting and incredibly moisturizing. The packaging is glass, which makes it feel luxurious. 

For the winter, my home is very dry. I don't usually run the humidifer while I sleep, so I need something that lasts. This is why I stopped using the Laneige Lip Mask for the colder months. With Nuxe, whatever I apply to my lips before bed, I wake up and still have a decent layer of lip balm on. My lips are moisturized and stay soft longer whenever I use this lip balm. There's no major scent either, which I like. 

I actually like this more than the Laneige lip mask, but it's far too thick for the summer. Even if I apply a thin layer. It feels heavy. I don't mind it in the winter but it's not as comfortable in the summer. I know, I know. I'm weird. 

In Canada this is available at Shoppers Drug Mart for $17 CAD + taxes. If you haven't tried this yet, go and get one now!

DHC - Lip Cream
I heard a lot of great things about this, so when I went to Japan, I made sure to stock up on a few of these. I can see why it's so popular. Unscented, moisturizing and lasts for a pretty decent time as well. I have so many different lip products I have opened. I keep this in my bag when I'm out and about. 

I purchased this in Japan for about 498 yen (about $5.50 CAD + taxes). I wouldn't buy it if it were any more expensive (convenience stores usually sold them for about 798 yen ($8.75 CAD) which I don't think it is worth that price. 

Makeup 


Top left to right

Laneige BB Cushion
2017 was definitely the year I started to wear a little more makeup. I still don't do a full face, but I wear makeup every work day. 

My friend passed this cushion to me because it turned out to be too dark for her (she purchased this at Sephora before they discontinued it. Shade: light medium). It turned out to be the perfect match for me though. 

For the longest time, I never used BB Cushions. I had an IOPE one originally. Their darkest shade at the time was too light for me which was N23. Not to mention, the BB cushions when they first came out always offered a dewy finish. I'm already oily, so dewy + oily skin just does not work well together. Luckily, in the summer, this isn't too bad. I do still need to dab any extra oils away, but the cushion + my setting powder does the job. 

I use this to cover my pores and any uneven skin and scars. So it's mainly used on my t zone and no where else. I stopped using the cushion pads as well as it doesn't offer as much control of the product as I would like. I rely on my The Face Shop stippling brush, which I'm quite happy with. 

The Sephora version of the cushion didn't advertise if it's the pore control or brightening version either. But based on the new releases, I'll want to try the pore control one eventually. 

I'm hoping Sephora releases this again soon. I have no idea what 'light medium' is supposed to be. 23? 25? I definitely plan on restocking once this is used up. 

MAKE UP FOREVER - Step 1 Mattifying Primer 
You know, funny enough I originally hated this product. But I have grown to like it. It still has some qualities I dislike, but overall it does a pretty good job in mattifying my skin. 

The main reason I dislike it, is it moves around any product you may have underneath when applying this. I apply this after any sun screen. When I put this primer on, my sun screen below it would shift and it would clump up. So it looked like I rubbed dead skin off. I found that rather than rubbing the primer in, dabbing it on helped a bit. But then the product caked together on my fingers! 

It must be an issue with the sun screens I'm using, because now that it's winter, I haven't been applying any sun creams (I know, I know, I should! I should always wear sun creams when I'm going out, no matter what season it is. But... I just have not been during the winter) And the issues of products moving around or being rubbed off are gone. It applies nicely, covers my pores, my skin doesn't become too oily. My go to primer to use. 

While I still want to test out other mattifying primers, this is still quite good. It is on the expensive side though. $45 CAD + taxes for 30ml. 

MAKE UP FOREVER - Ultra HD Invisible Cover Foundation 
This foundation offers medium coverage. I found that it blended best with a blender vs a brush as it left some streaks. 

The foundation doesn't cake especially around the crevices of the nose. It is exactly as they describe their product to be: light weight and melts into the skin with a natural-looking finish. I would say it's better for those with dry skin. As in the summer my oils do show through by mid-day. But this is still my go to foundation when I want my skin to look good and cover any scars or hyper-pigmentation. 

This is available on Sephora for $52 CAD/night + taxes

Giorgio Armani Beauty - Rouge d'Armani Sheer Lipstick
My coworker introduced this to me. 2017 was the year I went back to liking sheer lipsticks that offer a lot of shine. Even though this is a sheer lipstick, it still offers a lot of colour. It makes my lips look really juicy. Usually one swipe is enough for me. What's great about this is that it's hydrating and it glides on so easily. It's light weight and doesn't stick onto any dry skin. It was the lipstick I used everyday for at least a month. 

Sadly, it seems like it's sold out everywhere. I've been to multiple stores and I've been told either it's just sold out or it's been discontinued. The Giorgio Armani beauty website still has this for sale (even though it's sold out) so I don't thin it's discontinued. The line is confusing as well. They have Rouge d'Armani that offers high pigment satin finish. And then this one Rouge d'Armani Sheer. The Sales Associates don't even know the difference, as almost every beauty counter I went to they brought me the satin finish one instead of the sheer one. Doesn't help that the shade I have (400) is called the same for both lines. To make it even more confusing, the packaging is the same as well. 

When I eventually use this up, I will repurchase in a heartbeat! I purchased this for $43 CAD + taxes

Canmake - Make Me Happy in Pink Fruity 
I've been trying to steer away from fruity/sweet scents... but I always gravitate towards them. I have a few musky scents in my collection and I just never reach for them. Though this one is supposed to have sweet, floral and white musk as the base note. The only complaint I have is that it's not very long lasting. By mid day I don't even smell this anymore.

This has been my new favourite scent and I have been using this everyday since my return from Japan. Even though it's probably better as a summer scent, I'm enjoying this so much that I'm using this in the winter. I do what I want!

It was only 1500 yen + taxes ($16.50 CAD) so I would definitely repurchase this again. 

Ettusais Lip Essence - RD Pure Red
I purchased this Ettusais lip essence also while I was in Japan. I had this huge list of items I wanted to buy and this was one of them. At the time when I first tried it, I just through it was alright. Had a slight tint but didn't blow me away. I found it to be a little expensive for a lip tint/essence. 1200 yen. So I didn't purchase anymore. 
Fast forward a few months later and I've returned to Canada. I LOVE THIS LIP ESSENCE!!! I have been using this everyday! When I like something, I use it to death. Until I find my new favourite product. 

It's moisturizing, has a lovely sheet tint that makes my lips look juicy and shiny. No scent too! What I especially like about it is that if I apply more onto my lips, the layering of the product does cake up. It doesn't leave a stain and it's not drying. It offers just the right amount of colour and shine. All around really great lip tint. 

It's a shame that it's impossible to find in Canada! The only online store I've been able to find this on is at yesstyle. But it's over $25 CAD, which is waaay to expensive. Next time, I will stock up on a few to bring back with me!

Laneige - Serum Intense Lipstick 
Full review here.

TARTE - Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blush
I love this blush. I picked this up as my Sephora birthday gift. The shade paarty is a nice mauvey pink which suits my skin tone well. I've been using this so much that I've already hit pan! The blush is buildable and it doesn't budge throughout the day. 

While I do really like the blush, it's not high on my repurchase list. 

The full size is available on Sephora for $38 CAD + taxes.

Miscellaneous


Karl Lagerfeld Paris - Winnie Leather Camera Bag
I have been pining after the Gucci Disco bag for the past year. I was slowly saving up for it as a little reward to myself. But much to my disappointment the price went up by over $300 CAD (now priced at $1415 CAD + taxes). So I gave up on trying to buy it and looked towards finding an affordable dupe instead.

Behold, the Winnie Leather Camera Bag by Karl Lagerfeld. Dimensions wise, they're almost exactly the same. This purse is 0.5 inches thinner than the Gucci bag but length, height, the same.
The zipper opening is a little on the small side. I wish it opened up wider, but overall I really like the bag. The material is thick enough that it doesn't sink into itself and mains its shape. It's the perfect bag to dress up or down.

It's available at The Bay for $188 CAD/night + taxes. I purchased this on sale for $135 CAD.

Totoro Coin Purse
I picked this up at the yearly FanExpo. I mean, what else can be said, it's adorable as heck and it stores my change, so it's a win win! Totoro has been one of my favourite Miyazaki films since I was a child.

Not pictured:
CY' Lab - Crithmum Maritimum Callus Culture Filtrate Repairing Essence
Full review here.

These were my favourites for 2017. I'm actually getting more into makeup so I've been purchasing a lot more face powders and lipsticks. I even have my eye on a highlighter I want to try too!

What were some of your favourites from the past year?

No comments :

Post a Comment