Sunday, March 18, 2018

RiRe Lip Powder Review + Swatch in Sugar Plum

I received this a while back in one of my subscription boxes. I had never heard of RiRe up until this point. 

I'm no longer subscribed to a skincare box, I have far too many products and need to use up at least... half of my stock before I can even think about re-subscribing to another. I still have so many products to use up! It's just never ending. But the boxes were one of the main ways I got to try new products. 


RiRe boasts their Lip Manicure and Lip Powder are their best sellers. I've had this since last summer and I've been using it on and off. 

It's a pretty new brand having been established in 2013. They offer a variety of makeup and skincare which are all made in Korea. Price wise all of their items are pretty affordable as well. 

Taken from Yesstyle:
The powder emulsion forms a pigmented layer covered by a glossy layer once it touches your lips. Buildable colors allow you to go from soft to vivid in just a few swipes. Can be used on both cheeks and lips

Packaging

The packaging is all plastic and the shape is pretty unique. Reminds me of a tear drop. One thing though, as the product is a powder, be REALLY careful when pulling the applicator out. There is a ton of fallout. Doesn't matter how careful I am when I pull out the applicator, the powder will end up flying everywhere and it gets pretty messy. Forget about trying to be clean with this thing.


The tip of the applicator is pointed which I find helps with application. I don't like using the bottom half nearly as much. The application becomes more wonky and not as precise. 

Product & Swatches

This is definitely an interesting product. The powder immediately melts when I swipe it onto my hand or my lips. RiRe advertises that once the powder touches the lips 'water bursts'. This is where the 'glossy layer' comes from, but it's doesn't offer a glossy finish at all. It's more of a matte finish. When it turns liquid, my lips absorb it pretty quickly. It's very light weight and very comfortable on the lips upon first application. Though I found throughout the day my lips did become fairly dry. 


When the product is swatched on my hand the application is pretty even. But on my lips it's actually pretty patchy. Not just patchy, but it sticks to any dry parts of my lips as well. Definitely need to exfoliate the lips before wear. 


I like the shade though. It's bright and not too in your face. It's easily layerable for more pigment or blended for a more sheer look. 

But those are the only nice things I have to say about the lip powder. There's no longevity in this lip powder. It's certainly not a tint so eating and drinking causes the product to come off almost immediately. 

The worst thing about this tint and one of the main reasons I don't like using this powder is that it tastes bad. We naturally lick our lips, especially when we eat. This stuff just tastes like chemicals. It honestly doesn't make me want to wear it at all. 

It's also advertised as a cheek tint which I have tried as well. It dries too fast for me to be able to blend it out nicely. Not suitable for a brush eithe, have to use the fingers. 


Overall Thoughts

The shade is nice and it would be a colour I would wear during the summer, but this product is not worth the hype. It's fun to play around with but it's just a pain to use. Every time I try to open the product, the powder would fly everywhere. 

Innovative and different? Sure. But there are no redeeming qualities for this lip powder to justify me using it again. 

Save your money and try something else. 

I received this in a subscription box but it is available on Yesstyle for about $10 CAD. 

Has anyone dries this or any other powder to liquid product? What are your thoughts? Would you try something like this?

Summary

The Good
  • - Innovative and unique
  • - Nice applicator
  • - Light weight 
The Bad
  • - No longevity - comes off immediately after eating and drinking
  • - Patchy application
  • - Sticks to any dry patches on the skin
  • - Drying throughout the day
  • - Powder flies everywhere when pulling the applicator out from the tube
  • - Tastes like chemicals
  • - Dries too fast to be used as a cheek tint

1 comment :