Sunday, July 6, 2014

Smith's Rosebud Salve Review

Hello hello! I've been rather M.I.A lately. I went on a week vacation at the end of June, and when I came back, the internet was down >< story of my life.
On the bright side, I was able to watch the Canada Day fireworks from my window at home. Hope everyone had a good Canada Day and 4th of July!

On my vacation, I went on a little shopping rampage. Mostly for dried food, though I did make some really exciting purchases!
One of them, being Smith's Rosebud Salve. I've heard a lot of good things about this product. I don't have a Sephora back in my hometown or anywhere close to where I'm working this summer either. I stopped by Sephora while on my vacation, and I decided to pick this lip salve up.


Though I'm not really a huge fan of lip balms where I have to use my fingers to apply, (less sanitary) but with everyone recommending this, I figured I'd give it a try. 
Taken from the Sephora website:
This must-have lip balm calms and heals irritation, and soothes  the sting of minor burns. Easy-to-use and versatile, dab it on chapped lips, elbows, or knees to condition and relieve dryness. It is also an excellent remedy for the treatment of diaper rash
 Well, I wouldn't know about diaper rash, but it indeed helps with chapped lips and dryness!

Packaging
Nothing too special to report about the tin. It's a non screw top. The bad thing about tins, is that if you leave them out in the summer and it melts, it'll get stuck onto the sides of the tin, making it impossible to open. I've experienced this with other products housed in tin.
I haven't had this problem yet, as I mainly keep it in my room to use. I never carry it around with me, in fear of it melting. As long as the tin is not on its side and exposed to heat, you shouldn't have a problem with the product melting and making a mess on the sides.


Product
I've had some irritated skin this summer, and I have to say, the salve has helped prevent the skin from getting worse. The product is very thick. Naturally, it comes off when you drink and eat, but it can easily stay on your lips for an hour or more. I like to put this on before bed, and I wake up with my lips feeling soft and not dry.
The first two ingredients listed on the back: Petrolatum and Cotton Seed oil. Of course they have other things in it, but they're 'secrets' of the company.
It has a rose scent, which I didn't quite like when I first started using the product. But after a while, I got used to it, and now I quite like it. And for those interested, it's also cruelty and gluten free!

On the other hand, as nice as this is, it is exactly like Vaseline, except with rose scent and who knows what else, as it is a trade secret. Vaseline on the other hand is 100% petrolatum jelly. Not to mention, with Vaseline, you get a lot more for the price. Vaseline does come in smaller containers now too. But really, if you purchase the big tub for say $4.99, you can just scoop the product into a different more travel friendly container.

Final Thoughts
Overall, I like this product. The scent is pleasant after you get used to it, and it is very moisturizing. It lasts a fairly decent time; you only have to reapply after eating. I have been using this everyday and especially before I go to bed. My lips feel soft and I haven't had dried patchy lips in the past while since I started using this. As I mentioned above, it is practically like Vaseline, as you can use it on both your lips and dry skin. For the amount you receive, it's not worth using on your knees. Vaseline would be worth purchasing for skin irritations, etc.

I do have a lot of other lip balms that I have not used since the purchase of this salve. When I eventually finish up this tin, I won't repurchase until I have finished my other balms. I am a little on the fence with this product. On one hand, I do like it. But on the other, it's exactly like Vaseline, but with a rosebud scent. I may purchase this every once in a while, but not a need once I run out.

I like it, but price wise, with Vaseline you more for your money for the same product. Only difference, is that it's a different scent. If you want Rosebud salve for your lips only and Vaseline for cuts and dry skin, go for it.

I purchased this at Sephora for $7.50CAD + taxes

Follow me on instagram!

No comments :

Post a Comment